The Used Vehicle Information Package provides a detailed history of any registered vehicle in Ontario – car, truck, bus or motorcycle. It also guides you through the process of selling and buying your car and helps you understand your rights and responsibilities. Find out how it could help you in buying used cars in Toronto if you are a buyer and what you need to do to get it as a seller.
If you are buying a used car in Ontario the Used Vehicle Information Package (VIP) will give you information:
• Make, model, body type and year of manufacture of used car you are going to buy.
• The status of the vehicle, which could be:
– Suspended (In such case no transactions with the vehicle will be processed. It could be suspended for things like a contravention of a Highway Traffic Act.)
– Unfit (The vehicle may be mechanically unfit. Just if a Safety Standards Certificate is provided licence plates can be attached to such vehicle.)
– Wrecked (The vehicle is completely crushed. Licence plates cannot be attached to the vehicle and it cannot be used on any public road. )
• About seller identity – it will help you to be sure if the person selling the vehicle is the same as the name on the vehicle registration form.
• If the vehicle has been branded, that may affect future use of the vehicle.
• If the vehicle is recorded as stolen.
• About the vehicle’s odometer reading last provided to the ministry.
• Any outstanding debts registered against the vehicle.
• Number of times the vehicle has been transferred.
If you are selling a used car in Ontario privately you must purchase Used Vehicle Information Package, show it to your prospective buyers, and give it to the buyer when the deal is completed. You can buy Used Vehicle Information Package online using the Service Ontario Driver and Vehicle Online Services or in any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office. You will be asked to provide driver’s licence number or registration number, vehicle identification number or license plate number during ordering process.
If you have found a buyer finalize the deal in these steps:
1. Write down your name, signature, name of buyer, date and purchase price into the “Bill of Sale” field in the Used VIP.
2. Sign the Application for Transfer.
3. Give the Used VIP to the buyer.
4. Keep your licence plates of the vehicle registration permit.
5. Notify the ministry that the vehicle has been sold.